JOB POSTING – CAMPUS OUTREACH ASSISTANT
(TEMPORARY STUDENT POSITION – HYBRID WORK)
10-15 HOURS/WEEK / 12 WEEKS / $20/HOUR / SEPTEMBER 11-DECEMBER 8, 2023
Application Deadline: Wednesday, August 30, 2023, at 5pm EST
This position is available to registered and continuing students at the University of Guelph. Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line, “Campus Outreach Facilitator”
CFRU is a volunteer-driven campus and community radio station and media centre committed to broadcasting high quality, innovative, and entertaining music and spoken word programming. We serve as a distinct alternative to other available radio and media services and provide an ongoing connection between the University campus and the wider community.
Nature and scope:
CFRU’s Campus Outreach Assistant will work both remotely and in-person to assist the Marketing & Outreach Director in engagement activities with University of Guelph students and campus groups. The Campus Outreach Assistant will engage with student clubs through the Central Student Association and colleges to interview and record meetings and/or events and encourage them to continue creating radio content; reach out, schedule, and conduct class talks to tell students about resources and volunteer opportunities at CFRU; and lead station tours (both planned and spontaneous) for people who want to learn more about the station.
Working closely with, and reporting to, CFRU’s Marketing & Outreach Director, the Campus Outreach Assistant will:
- Engage with student clubs to explore possible radio-making collaborations (this could include conducting interviews, and/or encouraging clubs to record some of their events or meetings to share with the rest of the student body via our airwaves)
- Conduct short class talks to raise awareness of CFRU volunteer opportunities and available resources
- Leading station tours (requires at least one day per week working on campus from the Social Media Lab in the CFRU station)
CFRU is a resource for University of Guelph students, providing access to equipment, training, and skills development opportunities. We are also a platform for sharing student voices and perspectives while connecting students to the broader Guelph community through media production, events, and other engaging experiences. When we attend festivals and events, we build community between on- and off-campus life as well as give opportunities for people to be represented by the media. We consider this a learning opportunity wherein applicable training and support will be provided throughout the contract term and a review will be conducted in the final week where the student will be encouraged to reflect on skills developed and offer feedback to CFRU Staff.
We are searching for an enthusiastic and professional University of Guelph student with good organisational skills to take a leadership role in this position. The successful candidate will be offered support where needed. Applicants for this impactful role should be organised, self-motivated, with good communication skills, and an interest in problem-solving. This position requires some evenings and weekends.
- Passionate public speaker
- Ability to stick to a script while remaining engaged and enthusiastic
- Self-motivated with good time management
- Problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Familiarity with campus groups and colleges
- Social media savvy
- Flexible schedule and ability to adapt to new situations
- Highly organised
- Quick learner and able to follow instructions accurately
- Available evenings
- This position is open to domestic and international undergraduate and graduate students registered at the University of Guelph
- International students must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- Experience volunteering with CFRU
- Familiar with campus & community radio
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and positive attitude
- Strong multi-tasking skills
- Experience working/volunteering for not-for-profit organisations
- Interest in media, radio broadcasting, content production
- Knowledge of anti-oppressive practices
This is a 10-15 hours per week position for a 12-week term beginning September 11, 2023 and ending December 8, 2023 with a wage of $20 per hour. Weekly scheduling of hours will be flexible and adaptable around classes and other work schedules. The successful applicant for this position will be welcome to re-apply if CFRU offers this position in subsequent semesters. Only current University of Guelph students will be considered. This is not a unionised position.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, August 30, 2022 at 5pm. Please use the subject line, “Campus Outreach Assistant.”
CFRU Radio is an employment equity employer. All qualified candidates are welcome. Preferences will be given to and applications are encouraged from all equity-seeking individuals including people living with disabilities, people of colour, Indigenous peoples, women, working class people, queer and/or trans people (an umbrella term recognising many identities outside of the gender binary, including but not limited to: transgender, transsexual, Two-Spirit, genderqueer, gender-fluid, etc.). Please feel free to complete our Employment Equity Self-Identification Form.