JOB POSTING – EVENT ASSISTANT
(TEMPORARY STUDENT POSITION – HYBRID WORK)
10-15 HOURS/WEEK / 10 WEEKS / $20/HOUR / JULY 10, 2023 – AUGUST 31, 2023
- Honorarium for September 1, 2023 – September 22, 2023
EVENT SUPPORT PROVIDED
Application Deadline: Wednesday, June 28, 2023, at 5pm EST
This position is available to registered and continuing students at the University of Guelph. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Event Assistant”
CFRU is a volunteer-driven campus and community radio station and media centre committed to broadcasting high quality, innovative, and entertaining music and spoken word programming. We serve as a distinct alternative to other available radio and media services and provide an ongoing connection between the University campus and the wider community.
Nature and scope:
CFRU’s Event Assistant will work both remotely and in-person to assist the Marketing & Outreach Director in running and attending events and festivals throughout Guelph and the surrounding areas. The Event Assistant will: establish and update inventory of merchandise using point-of-sales service, Square; work with the Marketing & Outreach Director to ensure promotional tabling shifts are covered by volunteers and will step in in lieu of any scheduling gaps; handle cashflow and Square purchases for sales during events; and assist in planning and executing an Orientation Week event in September. The Event Assistant will be given free access to all events and festivals they are required to attend.
Working closely with, and reporting to, CFRU’s Marketing & Outreach Director, the Event Assistant will:
- Create and update merchandise inventory using Square
- Ensure the Orientation Suitcase is fully equipped with merchandise and resources before events
- Responsible for set-up and/or tear-down of promotional tabling at events
- Help oversee volunteers at events
- Responsible for cash flow including Square purchases
- Help plan, promote, and execute Orientation Week event(s) in September
- Research best products to sell at events throughout the year
- Work with Marketing & Outreach Director to schedule volunteers to table at promotional events
CFRU is a resource for University of Guelph students, providing access to equipment, training, and skills development opportunities. We are also a platform for sharing student voices and perspectives while connecting students to the broader Guelph community through media production, events, and other engaging experiences. When we attend festivals and events, we build community between on- and off-campus life as well as give opportunities for people to be represented by the media. We consider this a learning opportunity wherein applicable training and support will be provided throughout the contract term and a review will be conducted in the final week where the student will be encouraged to reflect on skills developed and offer feedback to CFRU Staff.
We are searching for an enthusiastic and professional University of Guelph student with good organisational skills to take a leadership role in this position. The successful candidate will be offered support where needed. Applicants for this impactful role should be organised, self-motivated, with good communication skills, and an interest in problem-solving. This position requires some evenings and weekends.
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Money-handling skills
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Self-motivated and manages time well
- Highly organised
- Quick learner and able to follow instructions accurately
- Available evenings and weekends
- This position is open to domestic and international undergraduate and graduate students registered at the University of Guelph
- International students must be legally eligible to work in Canada
- A reliable mode of transportation
- An understanding of the back-end of point-of-sales program, Square
- Experience volunteering with CFRU
- Familiar with campus & community radio
- Friendly, enthusiastic, and positive attitude
- Strong multi-tasking skills
- Experience working/volunteering for not-for-profit organisations
- Interest in media, radio broadcasting, content production
- Knowledge of anti-oppressive practices
This is a 10-15 hours per week position for a ten-week term beginning July 10, 2023 and ending September 22, 2023 with a wage of $20 per hour. Weekly scheduling of hours will be flexible and adaptable around classes and other work schedules. The successful applicant for this position will be welcome to re-apply if CFRU offers this position in subsequent semesters. Only current University of Guelph students will be considered. This is not a unionised position.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Wednesday, June 18, 2022, at 5pm. Please use the subject line, “Event Assistant.”
CFRU Radio is an employment equity employer. All qualified candidates are welcome. Preferences will be given to and applications are encouraged from all equity-seeking individuals including people living with disabilities, people of colour, Indigenous peoples, women, working class people, queer and/or trans people (an umbrella term recognizing many identities outside of the gender binary, including but not limited to: transgender, transsexual, Two-Spirited, genderqueer, gender-fluid, etc.). Please feel free to complete our Employment Equity Self-Identification Form.